Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A small update from California

24 weeks 0 days (LMP) 22 weeks 0 days (gestational)

weight: 115 pounds
waist: 33 inches

By this week, your baby weighs about 1.2 pounds (540 g). Its crown-to-rump length is about 8.4 inches (21 cm).

Your baby is filling out. Its face and body look more like that of an infant at the time of birth. Although it weighs a little over a pound at this point, it is still tiny.

We had a frightening time leading up to going away. Yesterday morning as I was driving into work I was in a pretty bad car accident. A young driver pulled out in front of a school bus , the school bus rear-ended him and sent him spinning across three lanes of traffic. He then hit me nearly head-on but instead scraped all the way down the driver's side of the van. Luckily, Jaida was not in the car with me and the dude is pretty well padded still. Anyhow, the accident left me feeling rattled and unsure of everything. When the paramedics arrived I actually felt okay albeit a tad shaken. All of my airbags deployed so luckily I was very cushioned from the initial impact. Joe came from work and took me home. Later that morning I called my midwife and she demanded that I go to the ER to be checked out since we had plans to travel the next day. So off to the ER we go. After about 4-5 hours in the ER they send me up to L & D for monitoring and some testing. I go up to L & D and they strap me to the monitors and sure enough I was contracting pretty regularly. So I ended up with about 4 bags of IV fluids as they tried to stop the contractions. Eventually, they loaded me in a chair and took me for an ultrasound. The little dude was no worse for the wear ... he was bopping all around. The placenta was still well attached, there were no bleeds and my cervix was still long and closed. So after a quick check by the OB on call, some more fluids, a blood test for something or the other, and a meal I was released. The OB gave me the reluctant okay to travel as long as I promised to take it really easy for a couple of days, drink a lot and go to the ER if I have any problems. So now we are safely in CA. I plan on resting tomorrow and then going from there. Happily, our insurance company is great and are handling everything while we are away. Hopefully, this will still be a good trip.

No comments: