Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Baby Shower

38 weeks 0 days (LMP) 36 weeks 0 days (gestational)

weight: 131 pounds
waist: 38 inches

At this time, your baby weighs about 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg). Crown-to-rump length hasn't changed much; it's still about 14 inches (35 cm). Total length is 21 inches (47 cm).

I had my 38 week midwife appointment yesterday and all was perfect ... low blood pressure, no swelling, GBS test was negative, found out I don't need prophylaxic antibiotics for prolapsed mitral valve in my heart, and fundus was measuring at 38 ... so just perfect in other words.

The sweet ladies at work threw a baby shower for me this week. The boy received many blue outfits, soft blankets, stuffed toys, album, frame, toys and misc other supplies. Everyone was extremely generous and we appreciate it all SO much. Jaida and I had fun going through all the clothes and washing them and hanging them up.

Generally, I feel pretty great for a hugely pregnant woman. I am pretty comfortable except the occassional shooting nerve pain down my leg. I have a fair amount of energy and am sleeping relatively well (in between bathroom trips).

We have everything we need for the boy and the house is all set-up for the addition of a newborn. I have all my birth supplies together and in the master bedroom. Our birth assistant did her home visit this week and gave us some pointers and checked everything out. We also met with our doula a couple of weeks ago and really liked her. She is very laid back and will be a welcome addition to our birth team.

My 38 week belly picture ...



From Visembryo:

Grasp becomes firmer.

ABDOMEN
Body is round and plump due to new fat storage keeping the body temperature at about 32 F above maternal temperature. Fetus turns toward light sources in what is known as the orienting response. Intestines accumulate a considerable amount of meconium which is usually eliminated shortly after birth. If birth is delayed, the fecal material will appear in the amniotic fluid.

LIMBS
Space limitation continues to restrict fetal movement. Limbs are bent and drawn close to body. Bones are flexible and ossification, hardening, progresses. At birth, the tibia, long bone, of the leg is usually completely ossified into bone.

No comments: