Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My pants are too tight and it makes me cranky

8 weeks (LMP) 6 weeks (gestational) 42 dpo

weight: 103 pounds
waist:27.5 inches

By the 8th week of pregnancy, the crown-to-rump length of your baby is 14 to 20 mm or 0.56 to 0.8 inch. This is about the size of a pinto bean. The baby is continuing to grow and to change rapidly during these early weeks. Eyelid folds are forming on the face. The tip of the nose is present. Ears are forming, internally and externally. In the heart, the aortic and pulmonary valves are present and distinct. Tubes leading from the throat to the functioning part of the lungs are branched, like the branches of a tree. The body's trunk is getting longer and straightening out. Elbows are present, and the arms and legs extend forward. Arms have grown longer. They bend at the elbows and curve slightly over the heart. The digital rays, which become fingers, are notched. Toe rays are present on the feet.

How can my pants be too tight when I haven't gained any weight and my waist is really no larger around? Specifically it is only one pair of pants that are way too tight but they are my favorite jeans so I continue to torture myself by wearing them.

Did I mention that I am 8 weeks today? A small woohoo! I am feeling pretty good. I am still not nauseous like I was with Jaida which is a relief because I really have no idea how I would work part-time, take care of Jaida and deal with the nausea. It is occassional though but mostly if I hold off on eating too long. I am starting to get all those weird pinchy and pully sensations whenever I cough or sneeze so I imagine my uterus is expanding out a bit and ligaments are stretching. Also, I have acne. Hopefully this does not last the entire pregnancy. I had such nice looking skin with Jaida but this time I just look rather like a teen-ager. Well not that bad but you know what I mean.

It is so strange being pregnant when you already have a child. I am very happy to be pregnant obviously but because Jaida needs me right now I tend to not obsess over this pregnancy. I think about it a lot just not all the time like I did with Jaida. I guess everything isn't quite as new this time around.

My pregnancy calendar says that the embryo is about the size of a coffee bean . It weighs about 0.04 ounces (1 gram) and is 0.64 inches (1.6 cm) long. The bean is starting to look a little less alien-like. It is just so crazy to look at this picture and realize that this little creature will turn into a baby that looks similar to Joe, Jaida and myself.




From Visembryo:

(6 to 8 weeks) - This stuff has been going on for a while now. Head and Neck

Brain is well marked by its cerebral hemispheres. The hindbrain, which is responsible for heart regulation, breathing and muscle movements, begins to develop.

Future lower jaw, the first part of face to be established, is now visible while future upper jaw is present, but not demarcated.

Mesenchymal cells originating in the primitive streak, the neural crest and the prechordal plate, continue to form the skull and the face.

External retina pigment is visible and the lens pit has grown into a D shape.

Nasal pits are still two separate plates, but they rotate to face ventrally as head widens.

Thorax

Primary cardiac tube separates into aortic and pulmonary channels and the ventricular pouches deepen and enlarge, forming a common wall with their myocardial shells.

Mammary gland tissue begins to mature.

Abdomen and Pelvic Regions

The mesentery, which attaches the intestines to the rear abdominal wall, holds them in position and supplies them with blood, nerves and lymphatics, is now clearly defined.

Ureter, the tube that will convey urine from the kidney to the bladder, continues to lengthen.

Proliferation of the coelomic epithelium indicates the gonadal primordium.

Limbs

Hand region of upper limb bud differentiates further to form a central carpal part and a digital plate.

The thigh (rostrolateral part), leg (the caudomedial part) and foot areas can be distinguished in the lower limb buds.

(approximately 41 postovulatory days)

A Four Chambered Heart and a Sense of Smell

Head and Neck

Jaw and facial muscles are now developing. The nasofrontal groove becomes distinct and an olfactory bulb (sense of smell) forms in the brain. Auricular (ear) hillocks become recognizable. The dental laminae or teeth buds begin to form.

The pituitary, which is the master gland responsible for growth of hormones that regulate other glands, such as the thyroid, adrenal glands, gonad) begins to form.Trachea, the larynx and the bronchi begin to form.

Thorax

The heart begins to separate into four chambers.

The diaphragm, the tissue that separates the chest cavity from the abdomen, forms.

Abdomen

Intestines begin to develop within the umbilical cord and will later migrate into the abdomen when the embryo's body is large enough to accommodate them.

Pelvis

Primitive germ cells arrive at the genital area and will respond to genetic instructions to develop into either female or male genitals.

Limbs

Digital rays in appear in the foot plates and finger rays are more distinct.

Spine

Trunk becomes straighter.

No comments: